LWVUS POSITION IN BRIEF
Plans this year
- Support the development of a comprehensive sustainability plan for Wilmette
- Research and work towards the best strategy on reducing plastics
- Protect and celebrate our Great Lakes
- Advocate for clean energy and understand the impacts of climate change
- Promote cleaner, quieter lawn care practices that support clean air, habitat for wildlife, and a high quality of life for our residents.
News and Latest Developments
Promoting Cleaner and Quieter Lawn Care Practices:
No Gas Leaf Blowers!
Did you know that gas-powered leaf blowers are prohibited in Wilmette from May 15 through September 30? Here’s why: they create air pollution and stressful oppressive noise levels. They also destroy habitat for pollinators and beneficial insects who rely on the leaves that lie underneath our shrubs and garden flowers. If you hire a lawn care company, please remind them of the ordinance if they are not following it. If you'd like to get involved with LWV-Wilmette's efforts toward healthier lawn care, please contact us .
For a light-hearted yet thoughtful take on this issue, enjoy this article from the New Yorker, entitled, "I Am a Leaf Blower".