Stop Gun Violence Now:
The League of Women Voters is a group of people who, in the face of challenge, find ways to act. A major part of the League’s mission is to influence public policy through education and advocacy
Right now, we can do these things reduce gun violence:
1. Call our Senators and Congressman today: Ask them to work to enact sensible gun control legislation now. Even if they share our views, they need to hear from us.
Senator Dick Durbin: 202-224-2152
Senator Tammy Duckworth: 202-224-2854
Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky: 202-225-2111
Contact information for State Officials: http://www.lwvwilmette.org/elected-officials-contact-information.html
2. Print out this petition to Governor Rauner, carry it with you, get it signed, and send it in:
Click HERE for the petition demanding that Governor Rauner and the General Assembly take action to prevent gun violence
3. Check out other groups working on gun safety issues. We are stronger when we join forces with organizations who have national strategies - these make a difference:
- Illinois Gun Violence Prevention Coalition: https://ilgvp.com/ouronejob/
- Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence: http://www.ichv.org/
- Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence: http://www.bradycampaign.org/jim-and-sarah-brady
- Everytown for Gun Safety: https://everytown.org/
- Moms Demand Action: https://momsdemandaction.org/
- Pick up “no concealed carry” allowed stickers from the LWVW and ask businesses you frequent to post them. Help to make your community safer by making it an unfriendly place to carry a concealed weapon. Raise awareness, start the conversation.
4. Share these ideas with your friends, family and neighbors.
5. Join our Gun Violence Prevention Action Team. Share your ideas and your energy.
Thank you for acting.